Thursday, November 13, 2014

In the Forest


It’s important to know when to walk away.
When work and home become a mundane hell,
The forest is there, with leaf-strewn paths leading out of the fray.

In the forest, I can forget the alarm clock's dreaded knell.
Here, I can find peace in the warmth of the mottled sunlight.
Here, I can bask in the grove’s rustic, dew-born smell.

Nature is a simple escape from man’s complex, modern plight.
The trees and stones have each carved out their place.
I wish I could become one of them, being here feels right.

As I stare into the treeline, a pattern reminiscent of lace,
I hear a crunch beneath my boot, and catch the scent of decay.
At my feet, a trail of small teeth leads off the path-- I hasten my pace.

I won’t investigate those bone-chilling screams, I refuse to stray.
It’s important to know when to walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment