Thursday, December 18, 2014

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

That’s the saying right? Out of sight, out of mind?
The more I think about it, the less I think that’s true.
I mean, I spent my whole life being afraid of what I couldn’t see.

But, I’m not alone.
Plenty of people obsess about what they can’t see.

Whether it’s staring into your backyard at night,
because you were sure saw something just beyond the treeline.

Or not being able to fall asleep,
since you just heard something crunch across the leaves and sticks outside.

Even the sinking feeling you get taking a late-night leak,
when you realized that the shower curtains are too opaque to see if something was behind them.

It’s only natural to worry about what you can’t see.
If you could just see that it was a deer, or a stray dog, that would be the end of it.
But, life isn’t quite that simple, so more often all you see is... nothing.

Hell, even if I-- or rather-- you, saw some intruder, at least then you could react, right?
You can’t call the cops because you think you might have heard something.
Believe me, I’ve tried...

How many times have you woken up with some unexplainable bruise?
You must just move a lot when you sleep, right?

Ever look down, and notice dried blood on your hand?
Must’ve got a papercut. Just didn’t notice you were bleeding, right?

Have you ever put your shoes on, only to find a pebble jammed against your foot?
How about a thumbtack? You work in an office, makes sense, right?

You ever slip on your coat, and find sandpaper sewn into the sleeve?
No? I guess that’s just me then.

I bought a video camera a few weeks ago, figure I’d at least get some peace of mind.
Set it up in my room, and actually slept pretty good, for once.
The next morning I went to check the footage, but, the memory card was gone.
Oh, and my coffee had metal shavings in it. That was pretty bad too.

But, maybe you’re right, maybe it is nothing.
Thing is, you can’t kill nothing... and I’m worried that nothing just might kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment