Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Clog

“Hey! The sink is clogged!”
I sigh, resigned to my position as ‘Hey!’
I peer into the sink, partially filled with fetid water.
The water level holds steady.
It is certainly clogged.

I pour in the Drano, grab a beer, and re-check the sink.
Still clogged.
I curse, and peer into my own personal swamp.
The sink radiates a scent of intense putrefaction.
I told her not to put any damn bones in the disposal.

I return with a bucket and wrench.
I fumble unskilled with the pipe until it finally pops off,
mostly filling the bucket with the vomitous solution, but partially spraying me.
I retch and gag as I set the bucket aside.
The smell has gotten worse.

I look into the removed pipe, and see through to the other side.
The clog is somewhere else.
I stare at the pipe that descends into the sewers below.
I curse, again, knowing that the clog is likely deep in the pipe,
knowing that I will likely have to finally buy a drain snake.

I grab a flashlight, and perch over the pipe.
I sniff, cough violently-- nearly vomit.
The source of the smell, and subsequently the clog, has been found.
I click on the light, and stare down the pipe.

An eye stares back.

Bulbous with purple veins, piercingly white.
Its pupils angular like a goat’s.
The lids leak putrid black pus.

It blinks.

The clog sinks deeper into the pipe, out of the light, back into the depths.
I scream.

She runs in, spouting concerned questions.
I sit on the floor.
I finish my beer.
“I fixed the sink.”

No comments:

Post a Comment